College Writing Exercises
Unless otherwise stated, responses should be at least 400 words
- Exercise One: In an essay with multiple paragraphs, please introduce yourself. In a concluding paragraph, please express what your plans for next year are and what you hope to get out of this class to help you achieve them.
- Exercise Two: Use the template on page 26 of They Say/I Say that begins, "In discussions of X," in order to summarize and respond to the argument about the Purple Heart Award that you read on page 17 of the Norton's Field Guide.
- Exercise Three: Write a summary of Nicholas Kristof's essay on gun control in the Norton's Field Guide (161) using the principles outlined in Chapter Two of You Say/I Say.
- Exercise Four: Write an essay stating your own view of the "Black Friday" tradition in the United States. Include two quotes from Andrew Leonard's essay on the topic in the Norton's Field Guide (164). Be sure to follow the principles outlined in Chapter Three of You Say/I Say regarding quotation.
- Exercise Five: Summarize and then react to Peter Singer's argument on page 931 of the Norton's Field Guide. Do you agree/disagree/somewhere in between with Singer's argument? Examine the templates given on pages 72-75 of You Say/I Say to find ways of introducing your own views into a discussion of the argument.